7.09.2014

the mystery of the undisclosed main character



almost every night before bed, jack begs for a story all about him.  it started as a sort of makeup for the lack of attention i feel he gets as the middle child and it continued because he loves it!  It goes like this- a story whose main character sounds an awful lot like him but whose identity is never disclosed. (wink, wink)  every night it turns into a game in which he yells, 'it's me!' when he hears a clue that leads him to believe it might be him to which i reply, 'no, no, no.  it's just this boy i know. but it's NOT you!'  most recently, the stories have been methodical-aimed at eradicating the main character's thumbsucking problem. and last night, i was too tired to make up a story so i promised a written one in the morning.  with it already typed out, i include it here.  Enjoy! :)

There once was a boy with the initials J.E.P.   He had blonde hair.  He had a wonderful smile.  He was a great tennis player.  Lots of people liked him.  And he loved to swim- he even liked to swim in his bath!
            This boy was going to be in first grade soon.  He knew he needed to keep reading (like a 2nd grader) to be ready.  But mostly, he wanted to "stop licking his toes" to be ready!
 J.E.P.  had a great idea.  He knew just what to do.  He got on his knees and asked his Heavenly Father for help.  He said, “I know I have a great smile.  I know I am a good tennis player.  I am glad I have a lot of friends.  And I really like to swim.  I have so many blessings!  But I need your help with one thing.  I want to be ready for first grade.  I need to keep my toes just as they are and only use them for walking!  Please help me with this because it is hard.  I know you understand.  I know you love me.  And I know you will give me the strength I need."   That 6 year old boy got up from his knees- ready to try and try and try.  He decided he would pray for help every time it was extra hard to use his toes only for walking.
           A few weeks went by and first grade was about to start.  J.E.P. was ready- he felt good about school.  He remembered that some days were awesome but some days were hard.   But he never gave up and Heavenly Father had helped him!          

2 comments:

Elisa said...

What a smart mom. I love your story. I may have to steal that one for Eden.

Cortni Stokes said...

I may have just shed a tear. You are such a good example of a great mom! Keep it up.