8.27.2020

lake z and me (8/2020)

Over the past year or so, Lake Zorinsky has become a beloved friend. Over the course of the time we've lived in Omaha, I've certainly enjoyed the lake. It is the gateway to a great bike ride, a sweet spot for animal sightings, and a place I wander with friends as a means of catching up. But when I truly committed to exercise daily (no excuses), it began to serve as an alternative to the gym. Initially, a decent distance for a walk/ jog, that 5K actually developed into a coping mechanism for depression and anxiety. Every step was an intentional form of relaxation as I listened to self-help podcasts and pondered on hurdles and triumphs. When the weight of one problem began melting away, Lake Z and me simply moved on to tackling the next hurdle - until eventually becoming a beloved, daily mindfulness practice that I just can't miss! (I now routinely decline invitations to walk with friends and family because it will taint my much needed time.) I wholeheartedly subscribe to the saying, "Perhaps the truth lies in a walk around the lake". 







No comments: