5.29.2013

the validating mushroom

today when I discovered a mushroom growing in my front yard, my world was more hopeful.  this unusual find triggered a realization that the drastic anxiety I've been feeling over Midwest home ownership is somewhat legitimate.  after all, who will dispute that mushrooms are a far cry from the desert tumbleweeds?  that little mushroom seemed to validate the stressing I've done: it validated the constant checking for basement water leaks, it validated all my second-guessing about the use of A/C at much cooler temps, it validated the wondering if I should have the roof checked for hail damage amidst the echo of installations, it validated my frustration over a perpetually growing list of home necessities (what is a dehumidifier?), it validated the sleep lost after the tornado sirens blared, it validated afternoons wandering the yard figuring out what and how to care for its plants, and it validated my disgust at finding ants in the house.  yes, that little validating mushroom changed everything!  thank you mushroom for giving me a newfound patience to take a deep breath and enjoy this Midwest home. 

(my 2 dedicated blog readers know that I rarely leave a post unpictured.  unfortunately, I did not get a picture of THIS perfect moment of elation but I did get a photo of THIS recent moment of elation- at the finish line of the color run! enjoy and pretend I just discovered the validating mushroom!)

3 comments:

Julie said...

That's awesome! The color run looks like a lot of fun!

JLJ said...

Yay for the color run!! A change in climate is really a big adjustment... you should feel validated (here I am providing further validation :) )!

Unknown said...

I was wondering what a mushroom and a blue Mandy had to do with each other. Nice segue!