10.25.2013

a glove funeral



Today, I threw away these gloves.  They needed to be replaced.  But before I tossed them, I had a very rare emotional attachment to process.  So appease me in a glove funeral if you will.  These gloves were bought 11 winters ago amidst my very selfish, single life.  A life that was half exciting, crazy, middle of the night ER career and half silly, indulgent, carefree recreation.  These snowboarding gloves are perhaps the last physical evidence that I once lived a pretty cool lifestyle!  You see, when I tell my kids I used to snowboard Breckenridge every Saturday, I can tell they don't believe me.  And I don't blame them- after all I'm now a total Nervous Nelly about everything from kites to ferris wheels!  (What is it about motherhood that makes one nerdier and nerdier and nerdier???)  While I can say that I am beyond grateful that "domestication" (if you will) has traded those days for a life with greater maturity, meaning, and spirituality- there is still 10% of me that really embraces those gloves today.  Looking back, while I fully enjoyed that time in Colorado, I worried so much about "domestication" and prayed to begin the rest of my life.  I am so thankful a loving Heavenly Father knew me better than I know myself.  He blessed me with that lifestyle in Colorado because He knew the joy those gloves would still bring me today!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are adorable. I never knew your snow-boarding self, but I sure love your domestic side, because that's the side most relevant to my own "domesticated" life. And don't forget that the partier is still very much in you, even if it happens after your kids are in bed and they don't get to witness it. :)