11.15.2010

speaking her love language

almost daily over the past year, stover girl has endowed stover mom and dad with an onslaught of pictures and crafts that she's lovingly made throughout her day.  often times, mom and dad can set their clocks to the timing of her pictures.  for instance, dad always gets one that she's completed during quiet time to enjoy after a long day of work.  and when mom leaves the home for more than an hour, there is a guaranteed picture at her bedside quietly waiting to be found.  sometimes her artwork surprises us showing up in cute hidden spots like our underwear drawer.  all of her artwork is delightful- particularly the pictures of mommy with outstretched arms and a smile on her face (giving mom the reassurance of knowing that she is mothering well).  and sometimes her artwork is humbling- like the time mom wore an unflattering dress to church and was drawn 5 x larger than usual renderings.  i'll admit that during practical moments, mom thinks 'argh- another piece of paper i have to slyly discard when she's not looking' or 'what a great therapeutic treasure to keep in my clinical box for when and if i wear a therapy hat again'.  however, in my more connected moments, her art brings me to tears and i'm aware that they contain all the forgotten thank yous and outgrown i love yous we still want to hear.

...last night, while stover girl slept, mom and dad decorated her door with some artwork.  we woke to hearing little giggles of hee, hee and enjoyed having her sound out and read the love notes we'd made for her. 





1 comment:

Sarah boo said...

I have a special spot that is out of the way, (laying flat on top of the fridge) where I stick my kids artwork after it has passed its prime. Then, after a few days have passed, if they don't ask about it, I figure that a sufficient grace period has passed and I am safe to throw it away.
That way, if anytime during the week one of them asks me, "Mom, where is my........." then I can say "oh yes, let me see..." and I'm able to pull it out and I'm safe. I had one too many times where I had thrown something away and then they would want to see it again and I had to come up with some excuse as to what had happened to it.