9.16.2026

mom's elevator speech 5/23

It can be pretty tough describing what social workers do. I've often felt that social workers aren't well prepared to showcase and advertise their skills or roles. Following suit, I always struggle a bit to describe it as well. The bishop asked me to be part of a career panel to answer a few questions about being a social worker. I inevitably was tripped up a tiny bit but here is how I answered:

Q: When and how did you come to know what you wanted to do?
A: In high school, I was certain I'd be an accountant. I took accounting 1 and 2. First math class at BYU was deflating and I ditched that dream. I kept my ears open for what sounded interesting and my friend Wendy was a social work major so I took an intro class and fell in love. I never looked back. My mom warned, "you'll never make any money in SW!" And when I persisted, added, "Well, you're going to have to get a masters degree for that. " She really wasn't happy but I loved it. I started to see that I had been a pretty calm caregiver all growing up.  My grandparents needed daily attention - my grandpa had MS and my grandmother had Schizophrenia so I had practiced talents there. (Fooled gma to the Dr to get her shot)

Q: What can you do with your college degree?
A: SW at bachelor level can work in a variety of settings: medical settings, child protection or community organizations, policy making, residential treatment, etc. but at the masters level is when you're able to also provide counseling which opens up so many more options and autonomy and another line of work essentially. In my career,  I have shifted back and forth between counseling and social work which has given me a lot of flexibility and job satisfaction.

Q: How do you feel your job allows for balancing work and family roles?
A: Balancing work and family has been something I've been very aware of.  Maybe too aware. In fact, I've opted for social work jobs rather than counseling at various times based on what my emotional bandwidth was like - ex: I was the yw pres and had 3 kids who needed me and need for flexibility.  Sw is work I have the ability to detach from at the end of the day but counseling is a little harder for me. I am grateful that I got my education done early on! Currently, I'm waiting until we feel settled to go back to work. Working overnight in the ER was great in my 20s but would be much harder now. 

Q: What do you enjoy most about your job? 
A: I love hearing people's stories. Problem-solving is a fun skill. Working with a multidisciplinary team. I learn new things every day and one day is never like another. Rewarding to make a difference and be helpful.

Q: What is the least enjoyable part of your job? 
A: burnout, lack of resources, low pay/recognition

Q: What advice would you give to someone to help them figure out if what they want to pursue your work?
A: Yes! Check it out. You'll like it! Maybe consider a double major. Such as an RN degree. Volunteer work is a good way to build resume and identify strengths and areas of interest. Rape crisis team, front desk at hospital, bingo at a nursing home, respite care with serious emotional disturbance kids

Q: What settings have you worked in as a social worker?
A: Hospital - Worked at hospital: in ER- dr called me in as psych expert to disposition, transitional care unit - help transitioning to home safely; psychiatric inpatient ward - making safety plans/ stabilization for independence; rehabilitation - family meetings to meet daily living needs, adjusting to new normal; outpt pediatric mh counseling - one way mirror, sand trays, parent child therapy 

No comments: