12.13.2012

a discovery that may change christmas forever

for the past 6 years, i've made and mailed 50 handmade christmas cards.  with tender loving care, i spend ridiculous amounts of time matching the color scheme of the card to the colors in the photo. i spend large sums of money for the perfect paper crafting supplies.  and, i'll be honest, i carefully construct a list of VIP receivers to ensure that my limited supply goes in the most appreciating hands.  despite all this, christmas cards has been my absolute favorite TO DO item of the year! unfortunately, a very late start on pictures, a recent call as yw pres, constantly having a toddler- strewn house, and a recent cross-country move turned 2012 into a very different year.  it became a pre-designed, costco- printed, mass-produced, photo- paper cards kind of year.  (don't get me wrong, i see them as a great option for those who do not see this TO DO item as attractively as i do.)
after getting over the initial shock of sterility in costco's options, i began noticing their utility.  thoughts like, 'i can send out however many cards i want at a fourth of the cost' and 'that was so much easier' and 'i can even use these for neighbor gifts which usually require an entirely new set of created tags' and 'what? they even come WITH envelopes' crept in!  the practicalities of this new discovery are almost limitless! 
...stay tuned for 2013- this little discovery may have changed christmas forever! (in the mean time, enjoy 2012's pictures:)




 

6 comments:

Mama Megs said...

These are the CUTEST pics yet! Jack looks so grown up btw :) The kids ohh-ed and ahh-ed over and over your card today-great job even if it was a Costco one.

lindsay said...

Love the pics! I just sent your card out today. In all its mass-produced Costco glory. :) I have always loved your handmade cards but I'm happy you found an easier option this year. And I'm in YW too. I love it!

Christen said...

We got your card yesterday and I will admit I was surprised at first! Even Mike said, "Where's Mandy's handmade creation?" :) I figured a move and 3 kids did that, but YW Pres?! That is awesome - you will be perfect! I adore these pictures and the colors you've chosen. Beautiful family and we feel lucky to get a card (costco or not!) each year! :)

Unknown said...

I get it, I totally do. If I can get it together enough to even order picture cards, I'll do the same.

JLJ said...

And here I was thinking I'd gotten kicked off the VIP list. Whew! YW president! Your new ward knows a good one when they see one. As with everything you do, you will do wonderfully and those YW will be blessed. Good luck!

Shirley said...

I always have ideas of doing holiday cards and never do. This year, it still didn't happen, but I also considered the Costco photo cards. Not sure what you ended up doing, but I thought about getting it printed at Costco, and just covering up the template (non-photo) part with a hand-made piece. Kind of like a hybrid between printed and hand-made. :)